Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Skull n Snake Jack-o-Lantern

While filling a wire craft order for a friend and deciding what to make for her, I said "go ahead, challenge me."

With that, she decided that she would like me to make a replica of one of the carved pumpkins that her husband does, as she said it would commemorate his work. She then provided me with this image to work from.




As soon as I saw this. I thought "wow, that's some amazing pumpkin carving there." But, then a second thought came to me, that was something like "how am I going to pull this one off?"

Sometimes, I just don't know how I'm going to pull together a project until I start working on it. This was one of those. Every detail of this project was a challenge for me. I had redone every detail 2-3 times, before I felt that it was creating an essence similar to this carved masterpiece. I had tried many different style forms and techniques that just didn't make the cut with this project before settling in on the ones I ended up keeping.

But, not giving up when things get difficult, is what helps us overcome our limitations and helps us to expand in our abilities. I feel that this project has taken my crafting abilities to a new level, so I do respect being challenged in this manner. After all, I did request that I be challenged, and this was the end result of those efforts:





No comments:

Post a Comment